"I can't think about that today...I'll think about that tomorrow." -Scarlett O'Hara

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

More Karen Memories by Diane Miller

I had to teach a Relief Society lesson and I wanted to share some experiences of Karen because Lyric's kindness came to my mind and it was so applicable to my lesson. I called my mother and she also contributed to the chain of events and feelings at the time it took place. These are the things I shared:

"One of the examples that comes to my mind is right here in our own ward. When my sister Karen got sick years ago with the effects of diabetes...she was in her mid 20’s and we all wondered if she would even make it. That was the unspoken consensus of everyone around her. That’s when I first met Deb Lee as she was Karen’s visiting teacher. And very consistent I might add!

Going blind, she would read Eric’s letters, she would take Karen for a ride, be a good friend, talk to her and open up the whole world of what she was being shut off from. When Karen moved in the guest area. Eric time. She wouldn’t let anyone else read them. Then let Lyric was such a dear friend to her during that time. In her little red convertible. She would take off for quite a while and spend time. She was a dear, dear friend. I will always be thankful for Lyric and what she did at that time. She did what no one else could do. She wouldn’t let anyone else read her letters. Karen would laugh and you could hear her laugh over the whole house. She and Eric were on the same wave length. She was full of joy during the time she was blind. Dad fixed her a stick that she could use to tap around to the fridge and finding her food. Had her food fixed and on the left side of the refrigerator so she could find what it was. Dad was at Eisenhower school and she wouldn’t let anyone else help her with her malt that Dr. Bigler wanted to get into her. Morning dad would get up before school, give her a shot and time it and see to it that she would get her malt at the right time so she wouldn’t have a reaction. Before she was going back to sleep and there would be low blood sugar reactions.

As far as Lyric, she was the friend of the hour! She would bring the outside world to Karen.
Now, the 20’s are often times of thinking about yourself and being focused on me, instead of others. Kids are getting married, dating, socializing and they are very fun years for most. Lyric Hatch and Karen were good friends in high school and during this time, Lyric would consistently come by. Take time out of her busy me centered life and take Karen for rides in her convertible. She would show up as flamboyant as you would imagine Lyric to be and bring such a feeling of someone caring into Karen’s life. This will never be forgotten as it was such an unselfish act of service and brought my mother such joy to see that someone cared at a time when it seemed so hopeless."

No comments:

Post a Comment