"I can't think about that today...I'll think about that tomorrow." -Scarlett O'Hara

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Funeral Remarks: E.T. Clark, Bishop

As many of you know, I am the Savage’s Bishop. I want to convey to you the sense of love and appreciation from the Ward members down in Arizona to the Savage Family. We announced in our Sacrament Meeting about 3½ weeks ago that Karen was in a situation that was very grave. We asked the members to fast and pray for her. I can report that there has not been a Church meeting that I have attended in that period in which we not specifically asked the Lord for His blessings to be on the Savage Family, Blake, Brig and Eric. It is interesting that those prayers have changed a bit. We realized what was happening here in Salt Lake. At first it was pleading for Karen’s life and that she would be accepting of the Lord’s will. The words were that “Thy will be done” and the great blessings to us as we recognized that, accepted and have come to understand.

As I thought about Karen’s life, I just want to share with you two thoughts that have come to mind. Karen underwent a life-long physical challenges that refined her and prepared her to return to her Heavenly Father. There are a lot of scriptures that talk about the refining process. One is in John 15:2. It is very brief. Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

That is one of the great callings and challenges we have, is to bear those challenges well as Karen has done.

Another thought that came to be as I was thinking about Karen is the great love she and Eric have for each other. I have a picture of them as I sit up on the stand on Sunday. They sit on the very back row of the chapel in the middle section, with her head on Eric’s shoulder, just like Brig’s is right now. I think that was sign of the great love they had for each other and also a sign of Karen being truly tired and worn out many, many times. She never complained. She always attended her church meetings and did the best she could. She was called to serve with my wife as Activity Day Leader and that was a big challenge for her. She worried about that calling. I know the feeling was that she would make a great difference just by her example in the lives of those young women in our ward. She did that marvelously. My wife, who worked with her, said to me that Karen would be in the kitchen, back yard or the church building where they would have Activity Day and one of the girls would show up and cough and sneeze. Karen would quietly withdraw, frequently she would wash her hands, but never complained. She was always there and did what she was asked to do. That, brothers and sisters, is one of the great legacies of Karen’s life to each one of us.

I want to share a brief scripture with you. It is found in Revelation 14:12-13. The Book of Revelation is not an easy book to understand. The last sentence of the chapter heading says, “The Son of Man harvests the earth.” That is the theme of this chapter. This is part of the revelation that John received.

Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus. And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.

Karen’s greatest work is the work she did in her home. She was not supposed to have children. She did. She was not necessarily obedient in that regard, but she was a great Mom, a master of great work. That is her children’s light to carry on her great work as the Lord spoke in Revelation.

I am grateful to have known Karen. I am a better person because of it. I am more compassionate. I am more brave and I believe I am more patient because of her example. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment